Tobias DiPasquale on 7 Dec 2003 12:02:02 -0500

Re: [PLUG] panic

On Sun, 2003-12-07 at 11:44, Bob Schwier wrote:
> The hard drive comes on on a Gateway and winds through its tests
> which it calls raids and then it crashes right after autorun
> saying:
> "Kernal panic: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on 03:01"
> I don't even know what flavor of Linux or Unix this drive has.
> As it claims to see the CD-ROM, something that the install disks
> for SUSE and Redhat don't, I would like to get it to work.
> I've been through three separate CD drives, two of which I know
> were good.
> Worse than the install disks not seeing the CD-ROM is that I can't
> get the bios to see and react to it even as it is supposedly bootable.
> bs

Sounds like your BIOS sucks ;-) It sounds as if the BIOS is not
recognizing your hardware and thus telling the OS bad stuff. You're
going to have to find a way to get the BIOS to recognize the CD-ROM
drive. After you do that...

...either your hard drive is damaged or your /etc/fstab is incorrect.
Boot off of a CDROM rescue disc and make sure fstab is entirely correct
and then reboot and try again. If that doesn't work (i.e. it still
doesn't boot after its entirely right), check the BIOS and make sure the
HDD is recognized by the BIOS. If after that it still doesn't boot, look
at getting a new HDD.

P.S. If this machine is using software RAID, check out /etc/raidtab as
well and make sure that's entirely correct.

--
Tobias DiPasquale, www.cbcg.net
202A 04C4 2CE6 B985 8520  88D6 CD25 1A6C B9B5 1595