Stephen Gran on 7 Dec 2003 11:55:04 -0500

Re: [PLUG] panic

On Sun, Dec 07, 2003 at 11:44:35AM -0500, Bob Schwier said:
> The hard drive comes on on a Gateway and winds through its tests
> which it calls raids and then it crashes right after autorun
> saying:
> "Kernal panic: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on 03:01"
> I don't even know what flavor of Linux or Unix this drive has.
> As it claims to see the CD-ROM, something that the install disks
> for SUSE and Redhat don't, I would like to get it to work.
> I've been through three separate CD drives, two of which I know
> were good.
> Worse than the install disks not seeing the CD-ROM is that I can't
> get the bios to see and react to it even as it is supposedly bootable.
> bs

It looks like your lilo.conf is using 'root=/dev/hda1' when it should be
pointed to the raid partition that it actually wants to use.  Try to
figure out which raid partition is your root partition - you can boot
with a rescue cd or something, and run fdisk -l /dev/rd/c0d0 or so.
That's one of the standard raid device names, there are probably others.

|  Stephen Gran                  | Much of the excitement we get out of    |
|  steve@lobefin.net             | our work is that we don't really know   |
|  http://www.lobefin.net/~steve | what we are doing.   -- E. Dijkstra     |