Paul on 7 Dec 2003 23:03:02 -0500

Re: [PLUG] Ports needed to use Samba or MS networking functions

Mike Leone wrote:

No. My understanding is as I said - a WINS server at both ends, not just
one WINS at one end.

What ever works. But, I disagree with the above statement. The function of WINS is to NetBIOS as DNS is to the Internet. As longs as all computers are registering with a single WINS server, any computer can resolve names using that WINS server.

NetBIOS doesn't work across subnets because routers by default do not forward broadcasts.