kaze on 8 Dec 2003 01:26:02 -0500

RE: [PLUG] Ports needed to use Samba or MS networking functions

--> From: plug-admin@lists.phillylinux.org
--> [mailto:plug-admin@lists.phillylinux.org]On Behalf Of Paul
--> Sent: Sunday, December 07, 2003 11:03 PM
--> To: plug@lists.phillylinux.org
--> Subject: Re: [PLUG] Ports needed to use Samba or MS networking functions
-->
-->
--> Mike Leone wrote:
-->
--> >No. My understanding is as I said - a WINS server at both
--> ends, not just
--> >one WINS at one end.
--> >
--> >
-->
--> What ever works.  But, I disagree with the above statement.  The
--> function of WINS is to NetBIOS as DNS is to the Internet.  As longs as
--> all computers are registering with a single WINS server, any computer
--> can resolve names using that WINS server.
-->
--> NetBIOS doesn't work across subnets because routers by default do not
--> forward broadcasts.

Might be a "dual homed WiNS server" or this Microsoft WiNS request / reply
forwarder thing (WiNS proxy?) - getting OT for the LUG though...