Walt Mankowski on 9 Dec 2003 07:36:02 -0500

Re: [PLUG] Thoughts on creating a virtual file system

On Tue, Dec 09, 2003 at 01:30:30AM -0500, Tobias DiPasquale wrote:
> I think if he had one, he wouldn't have had to come up with the workfile
> solution he just posted, eh? ;-)

Good point.

> Besides, what's not portable about a file? All that's required for this
> to work is the ability to a) mount a loopback filesystem (any UNIX
> variant can do this) and b) the ability to mount whatever filesystem
> you've formatted the file with; properly chosen, this is also the
> province of any UNIX variant (unfortunately, this means ext2 is out,
> unless you're running all Linux).

I was thinking portable in the sense of physically getting it from one
machine to another.  For me, at least, I have a slow upload capacity
on my DSL line, so it takes quite a while to transfer 10 megs.  If
you're going to stick it on some sort of media to transfer it around,
either you're burning a CD for a 10 meg file, or you're probably
better off just using whatever file system the media itself is using.

Walt