Stephen Gran on 10 Dec 2003 08:26:02 -0500

Re: [PLUG] Newbie Elementary Networking Questions ABAIG

On Wed, Dec 10, 2003 at 01:37:27AM -0500, Paul said:
> Douglas Lentz wrote:
> If the install didn't detect the NIC, there is nothing to activate at
> boot except the loopback interface.  Try running "kudzu" to detect the
> card.  If that doesn't work, you might need to look at the card and tell
> us the model or chip used on it.

try `lspci` and look for ethernet.  If you see ethernet, but don't know
what kernel module goes with it, send that portion of lspci back to the
list, somebody will recognize it.  If you don't see it there, then it
might be an isa card, and there are other steps involved.  Let me know
if it's not a pci card.  BTW, you're guess about /proc was correct -
/proc/pci or /proc/interrupts are good places to start when you're
looking for hardware related things.

|  Stephen Gran                  | I learned to play guitar just to get    |
|  steve@lobefin.net             | the girls, and anyone who says they     |
|  http://www.lobefin.net/~steve | didn't is just lyin'!   -- Willie       |
|  			         | Nelson                                  |