LeRoy Cressy on 10 Dec 2003 09:39:02 -0500

Re: [PLUG] Newbie Elementary Networking Questions ABAIG

Douglas Lentz wrote:
...As Basic As It Gets.

I could use some help in getting started. I haven't done any networking - my background is database and general business programming.

I'm trying to network two linux boxes. The goal is to be able to ping BoxA from Box1 and vice versa. Once I get that, I think I can take it from there.

Setup: two computers (call them Box1 and BoxA), both running Red Hat Linux 9. Box1 is a "bare bones" Celeron box, 256 meg RAM, nothing unusual except that everything, including the ethernet card, is on the motherboard. ($219.99 at Microcenter. I am forced to operate in economy mode these days.) The NIC is a SIS 900/7016CI, so says redhat-config-network. When this box boots, it tries and fails to bring up eth0, which is not surprising - it's not plugged into anything. This box knows its name (which is "innsmouth").

as root try: lspci -v

this will tell you what is reported on the lspci bus. Another way is that you can try
cat /proc/pci

both options will tell you what is on the pci bus.

The old fashoned method of configuring a network goes like this:

# configure the loopback device
ifconfig lo 127.0.0.1
route add -net 127.0.0.0 dev lo

# configure the ethernet
ifconfig eth0 192.168.1.1 netmask 255.255.255.0 broadcast 192.168.1.255
route add -net 192.168.1.0
route add default gw 192.168.1.2

BoxA is an old Packard Bell P200. It has an ethernet card, I don't know what kind right now (Can I root around in /proc and find this? Where? The old Windows installation is still intact, on a separate drive. If I have to I can plug the old drive in and see what Device Manager says). I assume it works - I used to have a DSL modem plugged into it, that worked and the card's green light is on. BoxA has 64 meg RAM and due to this constraint, I am NOT running X on the box. We used SCO 5.0x at my last job and so I am used to using bash and virtual terminals. I did the Red Hat installation in text mode on this box. When this box boots, it knows not eth0; nothing re eth0 appears on the bootup screen. ifconfig -a only knows about the loopback interface. This box calls itself "localhost". First question, where did eth0 go? Did I fail to include networking in the installation? Do I have to do a complete reinstall?

Most likely the ethernet card on this box is an old isa card so you need to find out what kind of card is installed. This can be done by using the method you suggested by running Windows, or by looking at the card itself. If you don't have a module for the card then you might have to create a custom kernel for this box.

Under "Network Device Support" of the kernel configuration you will see every kind of driver for every ethernet card imaginable. Surely your card is there. You can either compile the card a an integral portion of the kernel or you can complie it as a loadable module.

Another method is to grab a Debian rescue disk and attempt loading the proper module untile the card is recognized. Write down what module loaded properly.

As far as setting up the network make this address 192.168.1.2

since this box is the one connected to the Internet you could make this box the gateway.

I have a crossover cable running between the boxes. (It's clearly labeled "crossover"). I don't know whether it's cat3 or 5. According to "The Linux Network" I don't need a hub if all I have are two boxes. (TLN also says "and we'll show you how to do it" but it never does). My copy of TLN is about four years old and very slackware specific. It may be confusing me more than anything else.

If I can get eth0 up on BoxA...I notice that Box1 is trying to get IP info via DHCP. I doubt that's right, if there's a DHCP server around my house I sure didn't put it there. After I get eth0 up, I presume that I have to assign static IP addresses to the boxes. Does it matter which ones I choose, or can I pick two more or less at random? Am I right to use the Class C netmask 255.255.255.0? My connection to the internet out there is PPP dialup (interface ppp0) and my ISP assigns me a different IP address each time I dial in. Any potential conflicts here?

All advice will be appreciated. Thanks a lot.

Setting up ppp on an old dialup system is a little bit of a bear which I don't want to go into right now.

- -- Rev. LeRoy D. Cressy mailto:leroy@lrcressy.com /\_/\
http://lrcressy.com ( o.o )
Phone: 215-535-4037 > ^ <
FAX: 215-535-4285

gpg fingerprint:  62DE 6CAB CEE1 B1B3 359A  81D8 3FEF E6DA 8501 AFEA

For info on enigmail:    http://lrcressy.com/linux/mozilla.pdf
For info on gpg:         http://www.gnupg.org/