Mike Chirico on 10 Dec 2003 10:45:03 -0500

[PLUG] Re: Thoughts on creating a virtual file system (sean finney)

From: sean finney <seanius@seanius.net>
>have you thought about using rsync?  it's designed for transferring only
>what's changed in a directory tree from one machine to another.  it's
>also not limited to root/sudo users (those who can losetup/mount loopback
>devices)  it's also not limited to one filesystem type.

Yes, I actually use both the virtual file system and rsync (through ssh) to
update changes. The virtual file system get's copied to a "Windows" laptop,
transported, then copied to a destination Linux computer and mounted.  Then,
rsync to update the changes to the main location after it's been worked on
for a few hours.  Or, cvs via ssh, because sometimes it's nice to control
the check points.  Mostly the virtual file system is used to transport the
large initial dump of data.  By the way, my virtual file systems are usually
500MB.

rsync -Lae ssh  username@192.168.1.21:/work   /work

And, of course,  the filesize can be less than 10M, or greater:

(This would be a 5MB = 10240*512 ... just change the count value)
dd if=/dev/zero of=/tmp/disk-work count=10240

(This would be a 500MB = 1024000*512 ... just change the count value)
dd if=/dev/zero of=/tmp/disk-work count=1024000

Regards,

Mike Chirico