Jeff Abrahamson on 10 Dec 2003 17:00:03 -0500

Re: [PLUG] Re: Thoughts on creating a virtual file system

On Wed, Dec 10, 2003 at 02:41:14PM -0500, Mike Chirico wrote:
>   [19 lines, 120 words, 923 characters]  Top characters: _eiltsoa
>
> Walt Mankowski <waltman@pobox.com> wrote:
> >I was thinking portable in the sense of physically getting it from one
> >machine to another.  For me, at least, I have a slow upload capacity
> >on my DSL line, so it takes quite a while to transfer 10 megs.  If
>
> Oh, agreed.   But, the file will compress nicely, especially if  the virtual
> file system is used for text, source, or  isn't completely filled with data.
> It's mostly zeros when empty.  I have a 50M file, 20% filled, which
> compressed to 1.8M.  So a USB memory stick could be used to transfer the
> compressed file, or several compressed files.

Then why not have a designated directory that you rsync around.  You
could even use the -C option if changes are sparse enough and you want
to go both ways.  What do you get by having your file system in a file
and mounted with loopback?

--
 Jeff