Mike Chirico on 10 Dec 2003 14:41:02 -0500

[PLUG] Re: Thoughts on creating a virtual file system

Walt Mankowski <waltman@pobox.com> wrote:
>I was thinking portable in the sense of physically getting it from one
>machine to another.  For me, at least, I have a slow upload capacity
>on my DSL line, so it takes quite a while to transfer 10 megs.  If

Oh, agreed.   But, the file will compress nicely, especially if  the virtual
file system is used for text, source, or  isn't completely filled with data.
It's mostly zeros when empty.  I have a 50M file, 20% filled, which
compressed to 1.8M.  So a USB memory stick could be used to transfer the
compressed file, or several compressed files.

Regards,

Mike Chirico