Mike Leone on 14 Dec 2003 12:26:02 -0500

Re: [PLUG] debian sarge hosed?

Jeff Abrahamson (jeff@purple.com) had this to say on 12/14/03 at 10:43:
> I have some time, so I thought I'd try to do a dist-upgrade on my
> sarge machine.  The list of what it would remove is *very* long and
> not generally followed by replacement packages.  (See attached.)
>
> Anyone know what's going on?  It looks like something is very broken,
> but I'd understood the repositories were all back up.

Looks right to me. Everytime I run an upgrade, after not having done so for
a few months (>4 or 5), I get a list that long.

dist-upgarde is easiest with Debian, but it's never completely easy and
clean, in my experience. You'll neeed to reinstall some stuff by hand, that
gets removed because of library conflicts, etc.

Perhaps try just an "upgrade" first, before a "dist-upgrade".