Jeff Abrahamson on 18 Dec 2003 11:59:02 -0500

Re: [PLUG] debian sarge hosed?

On Sun, Dec 14, 2003 at 12:26:54PM -0500, Mike Leone wrote:
>   [16 lines, 141 words, 794 characters]  Top characters: etoasnil
>
> Jeff Abrahamson (jeff@purple.com) had this to say on 12/14/03 at 10:43:
> > I have some time, so I thought I'd try to do a dist-upgrade on my
> > sarge machine.  The list of what it would remove is *very* long and
> > not generally followed by replacement packages.  (See attached.)
> >
> > Anyone know what's going on?  It looks like something is very broken,
> > but I'd understood the repositories were all back up.
>
> Looks right to me. Everytime I run an upgrade, after not having done so for
> a few months (>4 or 5), I get a list that long.
>
> dist-upgarde is easiest with Debian, but it's never completely easy and
> clean, in my experience. You'll neeed to reinstall some stuff by hand, that
> gets removed because of library conflicts, etc.
>
> Perhaps try just an "upgrade" first, before a "dist-upgrade".

Thanks,  I tried an upgrade first.  Lots of things upgraded.

dist-upgrade still wants to remove a slew of things, though, including
mutt and gnucash, so that's a deal stopper.

However, there's a new glibc that it wants to install.  This would
appear to require at the very least that I log out and log in again.

    Name Service Switch has changed in the C Library: pre-installation question.

    Running programs may not be able to do NSS lookups until they are restarted.
    Some services can not accept all authentication after extracting glibc
    package into your system.  This script automatically restarts some packages
    for example ssh or telnetd, but other packages for example xdm
    cannot restart because if it restarts automatically, then your X11 session
    is disconnected.  So you have to logout and stop xdm; you have to
    restart all such services after upgrading glibc with your hands.
    Known packages that are needed to stop before installing glibc 2.3:
	    xdm kdm gdm postgresql xscreensaver

    This script detects services which need to stop: xdm
    postgresql
    xscreensaver
    If you are invoking these services, please stop before upgrading.
    If you want to stop upgrade for the present, please answer the below
    question as No.

    Do you want to upgrade glibc? [Y/n] n

The big question, though, is how to determine if those things that
would be removed (mutt, gnucash, several dozen others) will be
reinstalled later after the glibc update and all.  Right now,
dist-upgrade is saying no and upgrade is saying they are held back.

I'm not sure how to answer this question.

--
 Jeff