sean finney on 18 Dec 2003 15:07:03 -0500

Re: [PLUG] debian sarge hosed?

On Thu, Dec 18, 2003 at 11:57:27AM -0500, Jeff Abrahamson wrote:
> The big question, though, is how to determine if those things that
> would be removed (mutt, gnucash, several dozen others) will be
> reinstalled later after the glibc update and all.  Right now,
> dist-upgrade is saying no and upgrade is saying they are held back.

the packages are held back because the newer versions probably depend
on the newer version of libc, but the newer version of libc can't be
installed without removing the current packages that would conflict
with it.  kind of a circular argument, but i think there's a way around it.

try upgrading with just apt-get upgrade, and then take the list of
packages held back, and apt-get install them.  i've had to do a similar
trick when there was more to upgrade than space on the disk:

bash$ apt-get install `cat <<EOF
> <paste packages here>
> EOF`

i believe this way it will schedule the newer versions of the packages
to be installed, and bring in their dependencies, including libc.

you'll still have to restart many of your system services when you
bring in the newer version of libc.  libc upgrades are really
tricky.  I applied a redhat libc update a month or two back that
completely screwed up the mail server because it didn't do that[1].  debian
handles it about as well as i've seen done, not counting rebooting the
machine.

	sean

[1] it continued accepting email, but for some reason would
    intermittently refuse to locally deliver it--at it's worst the queue
    was somewhere around 70000 messages waiting.  ended up having
    to reboot it.