Stephen Gran on 15 Dec 2003 08:27:02 -0500

Re: [PLUG] cron question

On Mon, Dec 15, 2003 at 08:13:05AM -0500, eric@lucii.org said:
> I'm relatively new to Mandrake - having used it only a few months.
> I just noticed that my /var/log/messages contain a ton of these messages
> since I've upgraded to 9.2:
>
> Dec 15 07:50:00 pc-00101 CROND[18698]: (mail) CMD (/usr/bin/python -S /var/lib/mailman/cron/qrunner)
> Dec 15 07:50:00 pc-00101 CROND[18699]: (mail) CMD (/usr/bin/python -S /var/lib/mailman/cron/gate_news)
>
> The first happens every minute - the latter is on 5 minute intervals.
>
> Any Idea how I turn this off?   It it an error or just info?  It seems
> particularly useless for an error message.
>
> It does not tell me if it's run by a cron job or from a running process.
> Mailman is installed, but turned off.

Read it again.  It says the proces CROND (therefore cron job) ran the
listed command (CMD - /usr/bin/python -S /var/lib/mailman/cron/qrunner)
as user mail.

mailman is not turned off, apparently.  If you want to disable the cron
jobs, for whatever reason, the best way is to rename the scripts under
/etc/cron*/ to something with a dot in it's name - I usually use
something like mailman.disabled so I know what I did later.  run-parts
(the thing that reads in every script in a directory, and lets the
parent run them) won't try to parse a file with a dot in it's name, so
that's why this method is used.

HTH,
|  Stephen Gran                  | Have a nice diurnal anomaly.            |
|  steve@lobefin.net             |                                         |