Stephen Gran on 17 Dec 2003 10:50:03 -0500

Re: [PLUG] Debian and cups

On Wed, Dec 17, 2003 at 10:32:03AM -0500, Jon Nelson said:
> Running sarge, I get this error when I start cups:
>
> greyson:~# /etc/init.d/cupsys restart
> Restarting CUPSys: cupsd/usr/sbin/cupsd: /usr/lib/libgnutls.so.7: no
> version information available (required by /usr/sbin/cupsd)
> /usr/sbin/cupsd: /usr/lib/libgnutls.so.7: no version information available
> (required by /usr/lib/libcups.so.2)
>
> Googling on the error I found that this was a bug with libgnutls.so.7:
>
> http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=221309&msg=16
>
> My question is how do I fix this?  I have the most current version of cups
> and libgnutls:
>
> libgnutls7      0.8.9-2
> gnutls-bin      0.8.9-2
> cupsys          1.1.20candidate
>
> The bug report says that this should fix it, but it hasn't.  Anyone know
> what I am doing wrong?

It looks like libgnutls7 broke by not having versioned symbols in the
release you're running.  Sadly, the fix is in version 0.8.12-3, which
is stuck in sid right now.  The truly annoying part is that it is not
immediately slated to migrate to testing either, because it has not
built on all architectures, because of build breakage in one of it's
build-time dependencies (zlib).  I would suggest grabbing the source
from here:

http://http.us.debian.org/debian/pool/main/g/gnutls7/gnutls7_0.8.12-3.dsc
http://http.us.debian.org/debian/pool/main/g/gnutls7/gnutls7_0.8.12.orig.tar.gz
http://http.us.debian.org/debian/pool/main/g/gnutls7/gnutls7_0.8.12-3.diff.gz

Extract the resulting files with dpkg-source -x gnutls7_0.8.12-2.dsc,
then 'cd gnutls7-0.8.12-2 && fakeroot debian/rules binary'.  Hopefully
the resulting deb will fix your problems with cups.  Any problems with
it, write back, or pester the maintainer via the BTS :)

Sarge can be rough sometimes.  We hope there are less bugs in it, but
when a bug does sneak in, it takes longer to get fixed.  *sigh*.

HTH,
|  Stephen Gran                  | It's not?  Are you saying that you      |
|  steve@lobefin.net             | SHOULD allow people (other than William |
|  http://www.lobefin.net/~steve | Wallace) to shoot lightning bolts from  |
|  			         | their arse?         -- Seth Galbraith   |