Stephen Gran on 17 Dec 2003 11:50:03 -0500

Re: [PLUG] Win98 End of Life -> Lin98?

On Wed, Dec 17, 2003 at 11:44:26AM -0500, W. Chris Shank said:
> I've got many clients still using Windows 98 - either because they
> really don't need any more or they have some legacy application that
> won't run on newer windows (DOS apps).
>
> Seems to me this could be a good opportunity to get Linux converts if
> there were a linux distro specifically tailored to machines currently
> running Win98 (ie: lowerend P2 and up, 64M ram, etc). Their needs are
> generally minimal: internet, email, office, and maybe a special DOS
> application or two. If this distro included a working/easy DOS layer, I
> could get several clients to switch right away.
>
> Does anyone know of a distro focused on this type of user?
>
> What windows manager would be pretty good - I heard that XFCE is a
> rather lightweight desktop?
>
> Are there any distros specifically focused on Xfce?
>
> Does anyone have a similar need for their clients? Would you be
> interested in a distro that did this?

I don't know of any ditros, specifically - genereally, there are either
distros that focus on the higher end machines with the newest X and KDE
and so on, or there are distros that focus on low-end firewall
appliance-type boxes.  That being said, a minimal set-up with something
like icewm (really lightweight, and looks roughly akin to win98) and
DOSEmu should do most of it for them.  I haven't looked at DOSEmu in a
while, though - several years ago it didn't work that well for many
things, but I have heard that it's better now.  Caveat user.

|  Stephen Gran                  | Democracy is a device that insures we   |
|  steve@lobefin.net             | shall be governed no better than we     |
|  http://www.lobefin.net/~steve | deserve.   -- George Bernard Shaw       |