Art Clemons on 18 Dec 2003 00:14:02 -0500

Re: [PLUG] Win98 End of Life -> Lin98?

chris.shank@acetechgroup.com:
Seems to me this could be a good opportunity to get Linux converts if
there were a linux distro specifically tailored to machines currently
running Win98 (ie: lowerend P2 and up, 64M ram, etc). Their needs are
generally minimal: internet, email, office, and maybe a special DOS
application or two. If this distro included a working/easy DOS layer, I
could get several clients to switch right away.

This is actually what Lindows claims to be doing, although from my perspective, Lindows costs a lot more than just about any distribution otherwise available.

Let me note that much of what operated in DOS runs in either dosemu or under Wine if that really affects what you want. Install let's say OpenOffice or whatever and Mozilla and you're done. I doubt you'll find a distro with what you want, but nothing stops you configuring up a system with what you think your clients want. The recent XFCE works really well but it's quite frankly also not as similar to win98 as it used to be.