Gyoza on 23 Dec 2003 16:16:02 -0500

Re: [PLUG] Debian + Exim help

Dayton Gray wrote:

I am wondering if someone might have an idea as to a slowness problem I am having with Exim running on Debian stable. Whenever I telnet to port 25 from an outside network, there is a decent delay before I get the Exim prompt to send mail (about 30 seconds or so). It works fine on the server itself and various DNS lookups to anything are very quick. Here are some troubleshooting steps I've taken:

I have commented out the host_lookup line in the configuration file and set my firewall rules to reject all requests on port 113 (ident). I have run the daemon with -d to help debug (this did not show anything of interest).

I just have a couple comments that may not be helpful. Check for reverse name resolution: IP to hostname. When I block the AUTH port I experienced delays when authenticating with an IMAP server.