Paul on 24 Dec 2003 13:28:02 -0500

Re: [PLUG] hard drive interface question

Jeff Abrahamson wrote:

Google gives me way too many hits on this when I just want a simple
definition.

I'm buying a new hard drive.  Does anyone know the difference between
EIDE vs EIDE/U133 vs ATA/133 vs SATA?  Should I care when my usage is
not gaming?

Roughly... EIDE is Enhanced IDE, which all IDE drives made today are.

U133 and ATA/133 refer to the same thing; they indicates a potential transfer rate. The higher the better.

SATA is serial as opposed to the typical parallel bus drive. A serial drive should be backwards compatible with a parallel interface. Serial drives are supposed to be faster, but are more expensive and requires a compatible controller.

Just grab an EIDE ATA/100 or better drive and be done with it. That's typically what you'll find and it will be compatible with just about any EIDE controller.