Stephen Gran on 27 Dec 2003 20:25:03 -0500

Re: [PLUG] sendmail responds slowly

On Sat, Dec 27, 2003 at 05:11:29PM -0800, Marc Zucchelli said:
> Whenever i telnet into my server at port 25 to access
> sendmail directly, it takes about 5 or 10 seconds
> before sendmail outputs the expected "220" message,
> does anyone know the reason for this?

Any of: high load, dns timeout, or auth query timeout.

> Also, once i start entering the MAIL FROM and the RCPT
> TO commands, after I hit enter, it takes a few seconds
> before sendmail responds.

It's checking either sender or recipient or both.  If it pauses after
mail from:, it's checking sender, if it pauses after rcpt to: it's
checking recipient.  sender checks make me think of dns and auth
queries, recipient checks make me think of high load.

HTH,
|  Stephen Gran                  | Concept, n.:  Any "idea" for which an   |
|  steve@lobefin.net             | outside consultant billed you more than |
|  http://www.lobefin.net/~steve | $25,000.                                |