W. Chris Shank on 31 Dec 2003 18:32:03 -0000

[PLUG] Linux Business Forum, again...

Once again I'm reviving the Linux Business Forum idea, but this time
I'll be able to throw some resources behind it.

Here's the premise:

This would be a forum, group, or ad-hoc association of persons and/or
businesses that had an interest in furthering Linux as a business
product or tool. The difference between this and PLUG or other LUG's is
that it would be a far less technically oriented group and more focused
on the business side of Linux IT -  mostly businesses selling/supporting
Linux.

Why would you get involved?

I see this as a networking business group where we can share successes
and failures of selling, implementing & supporting Linux systems.
Discuss the industry and benefit from each others viewpoints on what is
happening in the maturing Linux market-place. So, if you are a
consultant who knows Linux, it may be an opportunity to network. For IT
service companies it could be an opportunity to gain a network of other
skilled pros that you can call on if necessary or other companies to
form strategic partnerships. For everyone, it should be an opportunity
to share and discuss happenings in the Linux businesses, learn what
works and what doesn't when selling Linux (remember - this is a business
group so sales discussions is a key component).

What resources are available?

My company is moving into new offices in Exton in January, once we are
settled, we will host meetings there starting in Feb. We will also setup
a mailing list once the charter of the group has been established. Since
this is a business group, it may not be appropriate to make it
completely open to the public. Conversely, if it is public it may not be
an effective group if members are reluctant to share their experiences
with the public. I'd like to hash this out within the first few
meetings. The initial membership will determine the type of organization
it is to become.

What else?

I don't know. Really. Being in the Linux business I recognize that it's
difficult to find other (businesses) to network with, model after, or
otherwise learn from - simply because Linux is relatively new technology
and has a new business model that is different than what the established
players are using. I see this an advantage and disadvantage. The
advantage is that the small guys can adapt quickly to these new models.
The disadvantage is that it's largely untested ground to build a
business on, which is why I believe that bringing more heads together
can help us all.

If you would like to be involved you are more than welcome so please let
me know.

Thanks and Happy New Year to all.

Chris

--