Tom on 1 Jan 2004 00:33:02 -0000

Re: [PLUG] pondering thinkpad purchase

On Tuesday 30 December 2003 18:55, John Lavin wrote:
> Hi All-
>
> I think I've just about squeezed all the use I can get out of my Pentium
> 133 laptop that's possible to get and I've been looking around at some
> replacements.
>
> Obviously, I don't need too much horsepower at all if I could still get
> away with my old one for this long so I'm looking for a new one, but
> more lower-end.  All I can come up with for affordable notebooks that
> fit are thinkpads.  You see, I have this major requirement to have an
> eraser pointer.  I can't stand touchpads.  Just one of my quirks and I
> can't seem to find anybody else that still has 'em (are there others?).
>
> That said, I was looking at this model:
> http://www-132.ibm.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=-
>840&productId=8664449&storeId=1&langId=-1&dualCurrId=73&categoryId=2302836
>
> And I was going to upgrade the memory, but leave everything else as is.
> Looks like I get to pay the microsoft tax for these as well <sigh>.
>
> I'll be blowing away the xp install, and going with debian - just like
> the rest of my computers.  Anyone have experience with this hardware?
> I hear that IBM's hardware *should* all be compatible with Linux, but
> didn't want to have to buy one of these things to find out I can't get
> their sound or wifi working under debian.
>
> Thoughts?
>
> Happy Holidays,
> -john

The Linux on Thinkpads (www.linux-thinkpad.org) list seems to recommend the T
series.  I have a T30 (2366-86U) from work.  It dual boots Mandrake 9.2 with
Win2KPro.  Software suspend works OK, Hibernate doesn't work.  I'm getting a
Cisco card to install next week.  I haven't taken the time to play with the
configuration to enable Hibernation or do any other optimizations.

HTH,
Tom