John Lavin on 30 Dec 2003 23:56:02 -0000

[PLUG] pondering thinkpad purchase

Hi All-

I think I've just about squeezed all the use I can get out of my Pentium
133 laptop that's possible to get and I've been looking around at some
replacements.

Obviously, I don't need too much horsepower at all if I could still get
away with my old one for this long so I'm looking for a new one, but
more lower-end.  All I can come up with for affordable notebooks that
fit are thinkpads.  You see, I have this major requirement to have an
eraser pointer.  I can't stand touchpads.  Just one of my quirks and I
can't seem to find anybody else that still has 'em (are there others?).

That said, I was looking at this model:
http://www-132.ibm.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=-840&productId=8664449&storeId=1&langId=-1&dualCurrId=73&categoryId=2302836

And I was going to upgrade the memory, but leave everything else as is.
Looks like I get to pay the microsoft tax for these as well <sigh>.

I'll be blowing away the xp install, and going with debian - just like
the rest of my computers.  Anyone have experience with this hardware?
I hear that IBM's hardware *should* all be compatible with Linux, but
didn't want to have to buy one of these things to find out I can't get
their sound or wifi working under debian.

Thoughts?

Happy Holidays,
-john
--
John Lavin <jlavin@wayreth.net> http://www.wayreth.net                  ,''`.
Fingerprint: B0AA 4A33 D43F BA67 E524  22F3 DA3B F8C8 2BA4 8C46        : :' :