Stephen Gran on 5 Jan 2004 19:54:02 -0000

Re: [PLUG] How to find parent in the shell?

On Mon, Jan 05, 2004 at 02:38:34PM -0500, gabriel rosenkoetter said:
> On Mon, Jan 05, 2004 at 01:50:50PM -0500, Stephen Gran wrote:
> > No, I mean init implementations.  As I understand it, the way Debian
> > does things is something like (SysV?) init, but there are other ways,
> > and many of them are available in Debian, so I should try to support
> > them.
>
> Considering that MCT's suggestion relies on a Linux-specific /proc,
> I don't see how the finer points of init matter all that much...

Well, at the moment, Debian only ships a linux kernel, so it's all I'm
obligated to support.  I'd of course prefer to do something truly
portable and feed it back to upstream.  Any pointers towards something
truly portable would be great.  Again, people with other platforms
(hint) are a big help, because I don't have access to them myself.

|  Stephen Gran                  | Break into jail and claim police        |
|  steve@lobefin.net             | brutality.                              |