Michael C. Toren on 7 Jan 2004 16:42:02 -0000

Re: [PLUG] How to find parent in the shell?

On Wed, Jan 07, 2004 at 10:05:45AM -0500, LeRoy Cressy wrote:
> I have a question, since this is a boot script that you are using for
> system startups, how about the Debian install boot scripts which only
> have ash?  Since bash is not even part of the install scripts if your
> script gets on the install disks it will not run if /bin/bash is not
> available.

The Debian bash package is flagged as "required", which I believe
means it can't easily be removed without a few --force options:

	[mct@ellesmere ~]$ apt-cache show bash
	Package: bash
	Essential: yes
	[..]

mawk, textutils (which provides tr), and grep are also required packages,
although mawk and tr live in /usr, which may be problematic depending on
when in the boot process this particular init script will be run.  perl,
on the other hand, is not a required package, which is why it's use in
init scripts is frowned upon.

-mct