sean finney on 8 Jan 2004 15:35:02 -0000

Re: [PLUG] restricting majordomo requests by ip block

just to follow up on my own post, for posterity:

turns out using majordomo's builtin $majordomo_dont_reply variable
with a little bit of 'man perlre' did the trick.  normally, the default
value of $majordomo_dont_reply is:

$majordomo_dont_reply = '(mailer-daemon|uucp|listserv|majordomo|listproc)\@';

which basically prevents majordomo from doing Really Bad things like
replying to a bounced message.  the trouble is, without editing the
majordomo script itself there's no way to invert the pattern matching
scheme, and there isn't a $majordomo_do_reply variable to limit
a bit, i found the (?!..) construct, which seems to fit the bill,
allbeit with an ugly re:

$majordomo_dont_reply = '((mailer-daemon|uucp|listserv|majordomo)\@)|(.*\@(?!([a-z]+\.)*mydomain.edu))';

so now any email not arriving to majordomo with a From: header from
within mydomain.edu is silently filed to oblivion[1], and my postmaster
mail is just a little bit less cluttered.

	sean

[1] not exactly true, it still processes the mail, but it doesn't send
    out a reply message (which is is usually just "fr3e p3n1s
    enlargments is not a valid command"), so postmaster never recieves
    the bounces of these replies.