Jon Nelson on 12 Jan 2004 20:45:03 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Compiling modules on Debian

sean finney said:

Sean,

Thanks for the help.

> - you can compile a whole new kernel, which would make all of this moot,
>   but then again it would also make the point of a dynamically loadable
>   module moot too
> - get the original source/headers used to make your kernel and compile
>   against that.  if the broadcom module only needs the kernel headers,
>   that should be relatively painless, because the headers are available
>   as a debian package (kernel-headers-2.4.18-bf2.4).  if it needs the
>   source, it looks like there might be something funny going on, because
>   if i understand correctly that's what you did in the first place,
>   right?

Well I seem to have crossed one hurdle...I found a .config in the
kernel-header dir and used that.  The module inserted with out a complaint
but when I try to bringing it up I get:

    Unable to handle kernel paging request at virtual address...

If you have any insight into this I would glad to hear it.  Kernel params
maybe?  Off to google....

Jon

--
Trooper Jon S. Nelson, Linux Certified Admin., CCNA
Pa. State Police, Bureau of Criminal Investigation