sean finney on 13 Jan 2004 03:08:02 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Compiling modules on Debian

On Mon, Jan 12, 2004 at 03:45:24PM -0500, Jon Nelson wrote:
> Well I seem to have crossed one hurdle...I found a .config in the
> kernel-header dir and used that.  The module inserted with out a complaint
> but when I try to bringing it up I get:
>
>     Unable to handle kernel paging request at virtual address...
>
> If you have any insight into this I would glad to hear it.  Kernel params
> maybe?  Off to google....

well, the good news is that your module cleanly inserts into the kernel
then, and the bad news is it's doing kernel-land segfaults :)

are you sure that a) the broadcom patch works with the kernel version
that you have and b) that you cleaned up the modules from your previous
build first?

if those don't produce any results, take a look at log messages from
dmesg(8) near the invalid paging requests.  also, if you're comfortable
reading hex addresses, you can use that error message to see in what
function the kernel borked (/boot/System.map-`uname-r`).

hth,
	sean