Art Clemons on 13 Jan 2004 01:10:03 -0000

Re: [PLUG] ata controller card and linux(was linux hard drive troubles)

>I still can't get linux to see any more than 6 gigs of my 40 gig hard
>drive.  I am going to try using a promise ultra 66 ata controller card.
>Does anyone have experience with these cards and redhat?  Will I have
>to recompile my kernel or will redhat just recognize this card?

I have zero experience with said cards under redhat (I mostly use slackware) but about the only thing to look for is that they end up being /dev/hde -/dev/hdg. Aside from having to configure my fstab no problem. Incidentally, I might suggest trying a knoppix CD with the cd set as the boot device to determine just what your drives are detected as.

I did have to recompile my kernel but most I tend to compile my own kernel anyway and the stock kernel from slackware always found the promise card when I first booted up with it so all I can suggest is trying it. I am surprised though that your bios apparently only recognizes 6 gigs, since the usual cutoffs were either 2 gigs or 8 gigs if they were that low.