Jon Nelson on 23 Jan 2004 02:18:02 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Compiling modules on Debian

sean finney said:
> well, the good news is that your module cleanly inserts into the kernel
> then, and the bad news is it's doing kernel-land segfaults :)
>
> are you sure that a) the broadcom patch works with the kernel version
> that you have and b) that you cleaned up the modules from your previous
> build first?
>
> if those don't produce any results, take a look at log messages from
> dmesg(8) near the invalid paging requests.  also, if you're comfortable
> reading hex addresses, you can use that error message to see in what
> function the kernel borked (/boot/System.map-`uname-r`).

Sean,

Thanks for all your help.  Sorry I didn't get back sooner, but I got tied up.

I ended up compiling a new kernel and bcm5700 module.  When I installed
the new kernel I got a ton of unresolved symbols and at that point gave up
that tack.

I had read about a PLUG'er who just installed using the new beta2 for
sarge so I figured I give that a try.  They are definatley getting the
bugs out and I was able to get my system up no problem.

Thanks again for the help.

Jon

--
Trooper Jon S. Nelson, Linux Certified Admin., CCNA
Pa. State Police, Bureau of Criminal Investigation