Edmond Kerollis on 14 Jan 2004 04:55:02 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Star Office Rebate

----- Original Message -----
From: "Paul" <gyoza@comcast.net>
To: <plug@lists.phillylinux.org>
Sent: Tuesday, January 13, 2004 9:43 AM
Subject: [PLUG] Star Office Rebate

> CompUSA has Star Office 7 for $30 after instant discount and rebate.  Is
> it worth it compared to getting OpenOffice.org 1.1 for >free?

Paul,
I just joined this PLUG group.  My name is Ed.  I've been doing some work
with the OpenOffice.org community recently, and as far as I understand the
only difference between Star Office and OpenOffice.org is some proprietary
fonts in Star Office and a Database that is also proprietary for Star
Office.  OpenOffice.org has a frontend for any Database you would want to
attach, such as MySQL or even Access.  The other question is support. Sun
Microsystems offers support for Star Office, and with OOo you have the
support of the Community through mailing lists and Issuezilla.  Now though,
for small business Sun is offering support for OOo also.  Which is a great
advance for Open Source.

Soo, if your just getting it for individual use, OpenOffice.org is your best
bet.  You can't beat free, and your obviously used to mailing lists for
support. You do have access to information from Sun Microsystems also.

Thats my 2 cents, hope it helps.
Sincerely,
Ed (e.newed)

---