Jesse Huestis on 19 Jan 2004 03:03:02 -0000

Re: [PLUG] OT: Win98 local net only

Is there and external firewall between you and the Internet that may allow ping and DNS resolution? Try using telnet and and port 80. If it is rejected then it is a firewal issue.

Jesse

kaze wrote:

--> John Fiore wrote:
-->
--> >When you say that it only allows local network
--> >connections, I'm assuming that you mean that you're
--> >using a firewall on the machine.  If so, did the
--> >problem begin before or after you started running the
--> >firewall?

--> [mailto:plug-admin@lists.phillylinux.org]On Behalf Of Paul
--> Sent: Sunday, January 18, 2004 4:45 PM
--> To: plug@lists.phillylinux.org
--> Subject: Re: [PLUG] OT: Win98 local net only
-->
-->
--> There is no firewall running.  It can communicate using ICMP, DNS, and
--> NetBIOS.  It can resolve names, ping hosts on the Internet, and use
--> Network Neighborhood.  However, it can't communicate, even locally,
--> using  ftp, http, telnet, ssh, etc..
-->
--> I think there is a malicious program redirecting or blocking traffic.
--> I've spent hours on this problem.  I really think it's time to just
--> reinstall or upgrade the system.

From Microsoft TechNet: "When troubleshooting problems of this nature with
Windows, it is often advised as more efficient to simply reformat the drive
and install Windows and application software and restore data from backup
than attempt to determine the source of the trouble."

Maybe download and run the free adaware <http://www.lavasoftusa.com/>
software or even just look at "netstat - a" to confirm your malicious
program theory.