William H. Magill on 19 Jan 2004 02:17:01 -0000

Re: [PLUG] question about macs

On 17 Jan, 2004, at 11:42, gamerzone wrote:
I have a really stupid PC user question for a mac user. How do you erase a hard disk on a macintosh with 9.1 installed or even better how do you disable an administrative password to get into the mac?

There are a number of ways to erase a disk ... Are you talking about the boot volume or a mounted one.

If a mounted on, I assume you are running 9.1, at the desktop level, simply click on the disk once to select it, and in the pull down -- special, I think, don't have a 9 system any more -- select erase disk.

You can also use the HD utility program -- It should be in the Utilities folder.

If it is the boot volume you cannot erase it... no more than you can on any other running system. You need to boot from some other source -- like the install CD -- and then simply re-format it as part of the install.

If you are using 9 that's all you can do.

If you have OS X, Panther (OS X 10.2) or later, when you boot the install disk you can switch to the disk utility from the Pulldown Menu, and erase/reformat the disk however you like.

Other than that, OS 9 does NOT have an administrative password as such. It is a single user machine. So, I'm not certain what you are asking for here. If multi-user logins are enabled, and you can't login, simply boot from another Utility CD, like DiskWarrior or something similar, mount the other volume and go from there.

Of course, the "obvious" question here is -- What is it you are really trying to do?

T.T.F.N.
William H. Magill
# Beige G3 - Rev A motherboard - 768 Meg
# Flat-panel iMac (2.1) 800MHz - Super Drive - 768 Meg
# PWS433a [Alpha 21164 Rev 7.2 (EV56)- 64 Meg]- Tru64 5.1a
# XP1000 - [Alpha EV6]
magill@mcgillsociety.org
magill@acm.org
magill@mac.com