Douglas Lentz on 27 Jan 2004 18:55:03 -0000

[PLUG] Newbie low priority dual-boot question

Low priority question: please don't do any research or burn any time on this one. If someone has encountered and solved this problem and can say "Ah ha! I know what causes this" I'd like to hear from you. I have a windows-only multi-function faxprinter( rated hopeless by the printing project) , and only two functioning computers. I'd like to have a minimal, 2 computer linux network and continue to use the faxprinter. I have a windows 2000 install disk with product key, so I thought I'd set up a dual boot system - after all, this is a home system and I don't print that often. I'd set up a Samba shared printer and boot the slum box into windows when I needed to print. Well, that was the idea.

Dual boot problem:

Using red hat linux 9.0: I read the installation manual appendix on dual boot systems. I installed Windows first, like it said. Within windows, I used Partition Magic to free up 3.5 gig empty space for a Red Hat installation. Booted Red Hat install from CD. When I got to the partition screen I selected "keep the existing partitions and use the free space", When I got to the boot loader screen, I followed the configuration instructions for an NT system, which said to put the boot loader (GRUB) in /boot. (It's different for Win 9x). The screen has only two checkboxes on it, and you either have NT or 9x, that's all. Completed the installation, no problem. When I booted the box again, death. I never even get to GRUB's operating system selection prompt. I get

"Windows 2000 could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt: <windows 2000 root>\system32\ntoskrnl.exe"

Tried a Win 2000 recovery. Ha. I googled this only to discover that other people had this problem but I couldn't gleen anything conclusive, only that they posted this to the GRUB bug archive, (so maybe it's a bug?). Anyway, I'm at the near give up point, if I can't solve this I'll get a postscript printer or a third box. But if anyone can pull an answer out of the hat, thanks in advance.