LeRoy Cressy on 31 Jan 2004 21:30:02 -0000

Re: [PLUG] newbie

Bryan Tseng wrote:
Hi, my name is Bryan and I am a newcomer to linux. In
fact, I just got linux yesterday. I tried to read
through some websites and lear about linux, but most
of the lingo are a bit advance for me. Right now, I'm
just trying to use linux like a regular personal
computer, I've downloaded aim and winamp, and
successfully install both programs. (there are
instructions on the aim site about installing rpm, so
I just copied it for winamp) However, I am not able to
run winamp, when I open up the command line, and type
in winamp, a window shows up and says "the winamp
software has already been installed" but the program
doesn't show up. What should I go? Also, from my
reading and I understood that gz means the file is
zipped, so I would need to unzip it before I can
install the file, correct? (I'm also trying to a p2p
software) but the file type is of .tar? How would I
deal with that kind of things? Lastly, if somoene can
give me some tips on how they got familiar with it
when they first started using linux, I would very much
appreciate it. Sorry for such a long email, thank you.

Bryan

You asked some basic questions in your message and I will attempt to answer them.

rpm	RedHat Package manager
	This is used on distributions that use the RedHat
	packagement system.

tar	Tape Archive
	tar goes way back to the ancient times when computer
	systems filled up a room.  Tar is an uncompressed
	archive that is used on all UNIX type systems.

gz	Gzip
	This is one of the file compression utilities that
	is used in Linux.
	gzip compresses a file
	gunzip uncompresses a file

Each utility in Linux has a corresponding manual called a man page. To know more about tar, type:

man tar

Now tar integrates with gzip with the -z option.

The basic premise is that each utility should do only one thing and do it well. Thus when you run tar with the -z option you are forking to gzip for the compression.

Linux also has support for pkzip archives with the use of zip and unzip.

As a new user you will find a lot of help from the members of this list and others. Hope to see you at the PLUG meeting.

LeRoy

- -- Rev. LeRoy D. Cressy mailto:leroy@lrcressy.com /\_/\
http://lrcressy.com ( o.o )
Phone: 215-535-4037 > ^ <
FAX: 215-535-4285

gpg fingerprint:  62DE 6CAB CEE1 B1B3 359A  81D8 3FEF E6DA 8501 AFEA

For info on enigmail:    http://lrcressy.com/linux/mozilla.pdf
For info on gpg:         http://www.gnupg.org/