Alex Birch on 31 Jan 2004 21:35:03 -0000

Re: [PLUG] newbie

Bryan Tseng wrote:

Hi, my name is Bryan and I am a newcomer to linux. In
fact, I just got linux yesterday. I tried to read
through some websites and lear about linux, but most
of the lingo are a bit advance for me. Right now, I'm
just trying to use linux like a regular personal
computer, I've downloaded aim and winamp, and
successfully install both programs. (there are
instructions on the aim site about installing rpm, so
I just copied it for winamp)

<snip>

Lastly, if somoene can
give me some tips on how they got familiar with it
when they first started using linux, I would very much
appreciate it. Sorry for such a long email, thank you.

Bryan,

Welcome the the wonderful world of Linux! Here are some good tutorials that are free AND useful.
http://www-106.ibm.com/developerworks/edu/l-dw-linuxlpi1-i.html

LeRoy's responses to the zipped file questions surpassed my own.

I guess you're using Red Hat. What version are you using? [7.0, 8.0]
What I would suggest for p2p is to download rpm's.

The best way to get familiar with Linux is finding a job that will pay you to learn it :-)

Cheers,
Alex