Rebecca Ore on 2 Feb 2004 22:15:03 -0000

Re: [PLUG] verizon DSL

On Mon, Feb 02, 2004 at 03:58:05PM -0500, Chris (chris@chrisbovasso.com) wrote:
> As far as I know Verizon doesn't care about home networks sans something not
> working properly, they want one computer directly hooked up to the modem...
> which makes sense.
>
> They do auth against MAC addresses but it is an easy fix. Just call them up
> and tell them the MAC address and they will change it for you.

I set up a small home Belkin router and didn't use the MAC address
cloning feature.  I've never noticed a problem.  I don't know if they
read the MAC address at all, but the Belkin router didn't have the same
MAC as the Intel box I had been using to connect to the modem.

> > responds when it sends initial request to connect but doesnt respond to
> > the authorization... i used the pppoeconf to set it up, used his login
> > as on osx (username) and as i have seen suggested online

Verizon wants their primary user name which generally something beginning with
vz..., not the name associated with the mail alias.  Once you're
connected, you can use any user name to authenticate to the news or mail
server.  If the name doesn't begin with vz, it's possibly not the
primary user name.

--
Rebecca Ore
http://mysite.verizon.net/rebecca.ore