Chris on 2 Feb 2004 22:20:03 -0000

RE: [PLUG] verizon DSL

Have you tried calling them and just saying you got a new computer or some
other BS story? In my experience with ISP's, the answer that is the easiest
is usually the correct one.

If that doesn't work I am sure we can all help you troubleshoot your
brother-in-laws' firewall without a problem.

Troubleshoot a Mac you say?

Chris' means to troubleshoot a Mac:

1. Pick up Mac firmly
2. Throw against the nearest wall as hard as possible.
3. Go buy a PC with Linux on it.
4. :)

lol... I am just bustin' chops. Im the new kid, I have to ingratiate myself.

chris.

-----Original Message-----
From: plug-admin@lists.phillylinux.org
[mailto:plug-admin@lists.phillylinux.org] On Behalf Of sloopy
Sent: Monday, February 02, 2004 5:02 PM
To: plug@lists.phillylinux.org
Subject: RE: [PLUG] verizon DSL

i personally have comcast cable, i know it is connected to mac
(cablemodem reads it when powered up) so i have power cycled the dsl
modem on odd chance, and still nothing... the dsl gives it a session
number, i forgot to put the plog on my machine before i brought it
home... (dsl is at my bro-in-laws house) hmmm maybe i should get the
plog and look to see if the MAC is being sent across... since
username/password isnt encrypted i would venture to guess if the mac is
sent it isnt either...

thanks,
sloopy.

<snip from another reply to my original>

I have Time Warner road runner and they were happy when I told them I
had a
linux firewall... its one less person they have to worry about being
compromised. :)

W00t.

Chris.
</snip>

yeah when i was in delaware i had cable and they would not even talk to
you once you mentioned the words 'linux' or 'router' they would say 'i
am sorry we don not support that configuration, please use a supported
computer and if you have any questions then please call back' and
*click*... i remember when i first got mine... none of the tech support
knew anything about macs... one tech support woman gave me her home
phone and one night she and i hung out for about 4 hours at my place and
i gave her the full run down on troubleshooting mac problems with
cable... :')

sloopy.