Tom Diehl on 4 Feb 2004 23:13:02 -0000

[PLUG] Re: verizon DSL

On Wed, 4 Feb 2004, William H. Magill wrote:

> On 03 Feb, 2004, at 14:13, sloopy wrote:
> > p.s. when useing dsl and cablemodem using the same machine to the same
> > site doing an ftp i get 180kbytes/sec on dsl and 380kbytes/sec on
> > cable... only diff between the two is my cablemodem is actually going
> > through a router i have here... dsl modem was connected straight to the
> > machine...
>
> The general speed definition of Cable Modem service today is either 1.5
> or 3 meg bits per second on the downlink side.
>
> For a DSL line, the normal downlink speed is only 640k bps although 1.5
> meg service is available.

FWIW, my experience with DSL is somewhat different. 1.5 meg down is more
of the norm. Speeds up to 3 Meg/768 are available from quality providers
like covad/Speakeasy and others.

I have 1.5/384 DSL here. The only problem I see is an equivelent bandwidth
on DSL is much more expensive. OTOH my provider provides things like
multiple static IP's and allows/encourages servers and sharing of the
connections. It really depends on what you are using it for.

> So, in general, one would expect generic Cable service to be twice as
> fast on downloads as generic DSL service.

Depends on what you bought. :-)

> Uplink speeds on both, the last time I looked, were effectively
> identical -- about one half of their respective download speeds.  Yes,
> generic Cable Modem service is asymmetrical, just like DSL.

Things are changing. :-) DSL speeds are increasing just like cable
speeds. They have to in order to compete.

HTH,

Tom