William H. Magill on 4 Feb 2004 21:07:02 -0000

Re: [PLUG] verizon DSL

On 03 Feb, 2004, at 14:13, sloopy wrote:
p.s. when useing dsl and cablemodem using the same machine to the same
site doing an ftp i get 180kbytes/sec on dsl and 380kbytes/sec on
cable... only diff between the two is my cablemodem is actually going
through a router i have here... dsl modem was connected straight to the
machine...

The general speed definition of Cable Modem service today is either 1.5 or 3 meg bits per second on the downlink side.

For a DSL line, the normal downlink speed is only 640k bps although 1.5 meg service is available.

So, in general, one would expect generic Cable service to be twice as fast on downloads as generic DSL service.

Uplink speeds on both, the last time I looked, were effectively identical -- about one half of their respective download speeds. Yes, generic Cable Modem service is asymmetrical, just like DSL.

[I don't know if with the new 3 meg Cable service they have increased the uplink speed or simply the down link speeds. The 3 meg service is not available in all areas yet.]

T.T.F.N.
William H. Magill
# Beige G3 - Rev A motherboard - 768 Meg
# Flat-panel iMac (2.1) 800MHz - Super Drive - 768 Meg
# PWS433a [Alpha 21164 Rev 7.2 (EV56)- 64 Meg]- Tru64 5.1a
# XP1000 - [Alpha EV6]
magill@mcgillsociety.org
magill@acm.org
magill@mac.com