Alex Birch on 4 Feb 2004 23:05:03 -0000

Re: [PLUG] X config, woody, sarge, and knoppix

Jeff Abrahamson wrote:

My boss decided he wanted to switch from Win to linux.  Cool, this
makes my life easier.

The machine he's using is running debian woody (stable), works great,
but X is not configured, and neither xf86setup nor X -config work with
that hardware (X reports).

I tried bringing the machine up under knoppix, works great.  I saved
the XF86config* files, rebooted from the hard drive under woody,
doesn't work.

Thoughts?

1. I could upgrade to sarge.  I'd rather run his box with stable, but
  maybe sarge's X will configure better.

2. Rumor is that knoppix can be installed to disk, but I can't figure
  it out.  Google says other people can't figure it out.  But knoppix
  is debian-based.

3. Else I have to install Redhat.

I'm proceeding with (1), as (0) hasn't worked.  But I'm curious if
there's an option I missed.

Thanks.

The easiest thing to do is to copy the /etc/X11/XFree86.conf from knoppix to the debian computer.