Jeff Abrahamson on 4 Feb 2004 23:01:02 -0000

[PLUG] X config, woody, sarge, and knoppix

My boss decided he wanted to switch from Win to linux.  Cool, this
makes my life easier.

The machine he's using is running debian woody (stable), works great,
but X is not configured, and neither xf86setup nor X -config work with
that hardware (X reports).

I tried bringing the machine up under knoppix, works great.  I saved
the XF86config* files, rebooted from the hard drive under woody,
doesn't work.

Thoughts?

1. I could upgrade to sarge.  I'd rather run his box with stable, but
   maybe sarge's X will configure better.

2. Rumor is that knoppix can be installed to disk, but I can't figure
   it out.  Google says other people can't figure it out.  But knoppix
   is debian-based.

3. Else I have to install Redhat.

I'm proceeding with (1), as (0) hasn't worked.  But I'm curious if
there's an option I missed.

Thanks.

--
 Jeff