Aaron Mulder on 8 Feb 2004 18:56:02 -0000

Re: [PLUG] sendmail vs. smtp@isp

On Sun, 8 Feb 2004, Arthur S. Alexion wrote:
> --[PinePGP]--------------------------------------------------[begin]--
> Seems my sendmail is configured and working fine.  My ISP's smtp server
> has also been accommodating.
>
> What are the advantages of one over the other?

	Some mail servers reject mail if it isn't sent from a mail server
which is itself listed on an MX record for a domain, or something like
that.  Sometimes your IP or IP range is on a blacklist because your ISP
doesn't prevent spam relays on their network, but the ISP's mail server is
itself not blocked because they are not an open relay.  Sometimes you have
a laptop and your ISP will not always accept mail from wherever you happen
to be connecting from.  Sometimes you don't want to try to keep up with
security patches for sendmail or otherwise leave ports open.  Sometimes
your ISP's mail server slows down or drops connections [when a major
e-mail virus hits].  Sometimes your ISP limits the size of messages
they'll accept.  Sometimes your ISP performs spam filtering outside of
your control, which may occasionally reject valid mail.  Sometimes you
want mail queued at the ISP instead of on your local box if it can't be
delivered immediately.

Aaron