Magnus Hedemark on 11 Feb 2004 15:44:02 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Fax, email broadcast system?

On Wed, 11 Feb 2004 virgopa@earlham.edu wrote:

> Hello all - Fairly new member, I've been to the past two meetings.

And missing a space bar, apparently. ;)

> I realize a decent sysadmin could implement such a system on their own, my
> reading suggests Hylafax, CUPS, Mailman, and some smart scripting could do
> it. No one here is qualified to be any kind of sysadmin (I might do for an
> intern), and to date this is an MS shop excepting a debian stable box I
> keep in the back in the hopes that maybe I'll have a chance to do
> something useful and open some minds. Wondering whether anyone has tried
> something like this, would advise, or wants to stop me now before I open a
> huge backdoor (compared to our MS servers??) and get all our systems
> hacked?

I hope you realize given the implications of the combination you're asking
about, you might be met with a lot of resistance unless you can show that
you're not doing this for direct marketing or other scummy purposes.  Yes,
I've done a lot of this sort of thing.  But I tend to screen who I want to
help with it so it doesn't get used for sh*tbombing my friends.