Paul on 12 Feb 2004 20:00:02 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Samba/DNS question

Eugene Smiley wrote:

Agreed. DNS is not neccessary. WINS is. Unfornunately, I have my Samba
server offline at the moment or I'd be able to post the particulars
from my conf file, but you must set up WINS and also set the "lottery"
(I wish I could remember it's name) conf entry to 64 so that the linux
machine beats out all others to become the primary WINS server.

The Window$ computers should be config'ed with the IP address of theWINS server, so they will always look to the Samba server first for NetBIOS name resolution. (It will not have any effect on DNS lookups.) The election process that you're eluding to will be bypassed as all clients will defer to WINS.