Mike Leone on 14 Feb 2004 00:25:03 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Samba/DNS question

Paul (gyoza@comcast.net) had this to say on 02/12/04 at 15:01:
> Eugene Smiley wrote:
>
> >Agreed. DNS is not neccessary. WINS is. Unfornunately, I have my Samba
> >server offline at the moment or I'd be able to post the particulars
> >from my conf file, but you must set up WINS and also set the "lottery"
> >(I wish I could remember it's name) conf entry to 64 so that the linux
> >machine beats out all others to become the primary WINS server.
> >

> The Window$ computers should be config'ed with the IP address of theWINS
> server, so they will always look to the Samba server first for NetBIOS
> name resolution.  (It will not have any effect on DNS lookups.)  The
> election process that you're eluding to will be bypassed as all clients
> will defer to WINS.

You can distribute the WINS settings, as well as a DNS setting, via DHCP.
Makes your life a lot easier, especially when you have to change those
settings for all stations on the LAN. Make 1 change, rather than 4.