Kevin Brosius on 13 Feb 2004 22:49:02 -0000

[PLUG] SYN attacks?

Here's a general question about network attacks.  I noticed yesterday
that I was receiving heavy network traffic, enough to flood my firewall
and take me off the net.  After a little investigation, I find that I am
receiving a huge amount of TCP traffic from a single net address.
(sc-f100-01.extremenetworks.com - 63.251.106.30 in case anyone has
suggestions about reporting this)  I let it go for about an hour, then
started dropping all network traffic from that IP.  This makes the
network usable again.  I've submitted an abuse report to Speakeasy about
24 hrs ago, but heard nothing since then.  Looking at the iptables
status, I find I have dropped 1.2G (bytes) of traffic in the last day
from this site.

Anybody have other suggestions about how I should proceed?  It's not
noticeably affecting me at the moment for routine usage, but it's
annoying.

--
Kevin