Jon Nelson on 13 Feb 2004 02:06:06 -0000

Re: [PLUG] VoiceNet Rumors?

William H. Magill said:
> The child pornography laws are an attempt to legislate morality -- not
unlike prohibition -- and as such are subject to emotional
> interpretation, both pro and con. At the moment, they enjoy popular
support, as did prohibition when it was enacted, provide absolute
definitions and so prosecution is "easy."

I find the above statement very offensive and the analogy incredulous.  It
is more offensive to the child victims.  How can you compare prohibition
to child pornography?!

The sale of alcohol under prohibition was a "victimless" crime.  It
involved adults making decisions that affected themselves, mostly.  Many
other "victimless" statutes might be construed as "an attempt to legislate
morality",  but not child pornography laws.

Child pornography involves the sexual exploitation of children who aren't
doing anything voluntarily.  These children are not only being exploited
during the act, but are exploited every time that picture is viewed.  All
stemming from a situation they could not control.  Also these images once
on the Internet can never be eradicated.  Just think about that for a
moment.  These images will haunt them for the rest of their lives.

Jon
--
Trooper Jon S. Nelson, Linux Certified Admin., CCNA
Pa. State Police, Bureau of Criminal Investigation