Jon Nelson on 13 Feb 2004 02:06:02 -0000

Re: [PLUG] VoiceNet Rumors?

gabriel rosenkoetter said:
> On Tue, Feb 10, 2004 at 09:34:55AM -0500, Arthur S. Alexion wrote:
>> Unfortunately this happens a lot.  Law enforcement mechanisms which may
themselves be illegal or unconstitutional are allowed to persist
because
>> the
>> enforced penalty is cheaper than a defense.
> I'd say the law enforcement mechanism was fine in this case. In the case
of a newsfeed, there really is a server at the defendant's site that
really is hosting kiddie porn. The problem is that the
> legislation drags in a middle-man when it *should* be punishing
> those responsible for taking advantage of the children in the first
place. That's brokeness in the legislature, not brokeness in the
executive branch.

I don't think it was the legislation who drug them in, rather themselves.

We _WANT_ to be punishing the people who abuse the children in the first
place!  I wish it were that easy.  Due to the inherent and global nature
of the Internet it makes finding the abusers very difficult indeed.

Before the Internet when you caught these abusers and destroyed their
collection you made a very big dent in what was being distributed.  The
pictures or videos he/she may have distributed would still get passed
around, but with out the negatives they would utimatley deteriorate beyond
recognition.  Now with digital photography and high speed connections,
once an image/movie is sent to one person you might as well consider that
it will be traveling the Internet forever.

Jon

--
Trooper Jon S. Nelson, Linux Certified Admin., CCNA
Pa. State Police, Bureau of Criminal Investigation