Jon Nelson on 9 Feb 2004 14:15:03 -0000

Re: [PLUG] VoiceNet Rumors?

gabriel rosenkoetter said:
> On Mon, Feb 09, 2004 at 07:41:43AM -0500, Jon Nelson wrote:

>>  Their claim was basically, "...it wasn't their responsibility to
>> enforce
>> public decency laws, nor are they responsible for the content."  A
>> search
>> warrant was served and their servers taken.  I don't know the eventual
>> outcome though.
>
> It'd be interesting to know.

This case is pretty old (Oct. 28, 1998) and I couldn't find many details
on the outcome but here is what I found.

This is a post and a response about this case.  The response is from the
lead investigator:

http://www.politechbot.com/p-00039.html

This is the only article I could find that included a disposition:

http://www.webmastervault.com/news-aiu-0302.shtml

An excerpt from the above page:

"BuffNet was charged with a misdemeanor for facilitating child pornography
because it allowed access to a bulletin board containing images of a child
pornographic nature. In February, 2001, the company pled guilty and a
judge ordered BuffNet to pay a $5,000.00 fine."

This page provides a little more detail:

http://www.exn.ca/Stories/1998/10/29/04.asp

An excerpt from the above page:

"In this case, three ISPs initially were targeted as fronting newsgroups
that traded in child pornography. One of them canceled its access to the
site, and has been excused from the investigation.

The other two sites claimed various legal protections, and, as Wurzel
said, one of them told the undercover investigators that it was "law
enforcement's job to deal with this."

"So we did," Wurzel said."

Jon

--
Trooper Jon S. Nelson, Linux Certified Admin., CCNA
Pa. State Police, Bureau of Criminal Investigation